Arizona Soccer Association (ASA) continues to be focused on the health and wellbeing of not only the soccer community but the communities in which we all live. We are staying committed to leveraging local and national resources to guide us in actions that ensure responsible behavior. Upon further review of the CDC Mitigation Strategy (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/community-mitigation-strategy.pdf) ASA will take greater steps to reduce any close contact of individuals. Effective immediately ASA will:
- Cancel all remaining ASA managed league games and events. This includes the Arizona Federal Advanced Leagues, Open League, Whataburger Spring Academy Festival, and the College ID Camp.
- League rules regarding un-played games will be in effect for determining final league standings.
- Suspension of all Coaching Education Courses.
- Recommend all Clubs, Leagues, and Teams suspend training and participation in any events that would promote any level of “close contact” for a period through March 29.
- Recommend suspension of any out-of-state travel
Along with these cancellations the ASA Office will be closed until March 30, 2020. ASA staff remain committed to serving our membership so operations will continue, with staff working remotely. There will be no decline in service to the ASA membership.
At this time it is our expectation that Presidents Cup and State Cup will be played as currently scheduled. ASA will continue to monitor developments of the COVID-19 virus over the coming weeks and communicate accordingly.
These decisions and recommendations are not taken lightly and we realize the potential impacts on Clubs, teams, and families. We recognize, as we communicated yesterday, that the Arizona Department of Health is not giving this guidance, but after many conversations with leadership of both Arizona soccer clubs, other Arizona sports organizations, and the closing of many school districts we are confident that this is the correct action at this time.
Contact ASA if you have any questions