Release distributed by Boys & Girls Clubs of Easy Valley
Phoenix (March 13, 2020) - In response to the closings of a number of Valley school districts, Boys & Girls Clubs of the East Valley – Metro Phoenix will be opening local Clubs in impacted areas during school hours to serve our members and the greater community. We came to this decision, despite the increase in costs, to be able to support our community.
We are monitoring the situation closely and will continue to operate as long as we are able to provide a safe environment for young people. As always, we place the safety of our youth and staff at the highest level.
At this time, most of our Clubs will remain open, with the additional safety/hygiene precautions in place:
- Beginning on Monday, March 16, most of our Clubs in districts that have decided to close will be open from 8am – 6pm for families who need care for their students during the school day. This includes the following branches: Colangelo, Rosenzweig, Stewart, and Guadalupe will be open 7am-6pm. The Clubs will serve breakfast and lunch to members.
- Cartwright and Palm Lane (school based sites in the Cartwright school districts) will be closed and instructed to attend the Stewart Branch (open 7a – 6pm).
- Ladmo and North Tempe will be closed because the city is shutting down city buildings. Those members can attend any other Club (Guadalupe is the closest).
- Space in each Club is limited. Current Club members will have priority, and there will be no additional fees for members.
- Our Clubs will also be open for new members and normal registration fees and dues will apply.
- Peoria, Queen Creek, Robson, and Sands are all on spring break next week with spring break hours either 7a-6p (EV) or 8a-6p (PHX) and will operate regular hours.
Please visit www.bgcmp.org to find your local Club. Safety is the number one priority of Boys & Girls Clubs of the East Valley – Metro Phoenix, and we are doing everything possible to keep children, our staff, and volunteers protected from the COVID-19 virus. We continue to monitor all updates from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Arizona Department of Health Services for updated information. We are advising all staff, families, and youth members to take precautions as recommended by the CDC, and providing additional resources like handwashing guides, and information about how to talk to young people about the spread of COVID-19.
If community members have additional questions, please contact Cassidy Campana, firstname.lastname@example.org. We will continue to update you as we know more.